For some odd reason, last week I decided to install Windows Vista. Stupid move.
I’ve never been on the anti-Microsoft bandwagon before, even when I was an electrical engineering and computer science student, since Windows was doing just fine what it was meant to do from Windows 2000 on. I was entirely satisfied with XP. I find Linux to be far too mess-with-to-keep-it-running and MacOSX was hardware-dependent so I couldn’t test it. I was convinced that upgrading to Vista would not be the terrible nightmare that the media made it out to be. I mean, it’s still based on XP code in there so it couldn’t be too bad.
I was wrong.
So far, and I’ve been at my internship most days so I haven’t even really been able to give it a proper stress-test, these are the things I hate:
- NO stable drivers. There are way, way, way too many drivers that simply suck. My sound support is crap, I lost my TV-out on both my videocards, my older devices aren’t recognized, ARGH!
- How is me authorizing every-single-thing I do exactly make things safer? No wait, I don’t even care, I’d argue that being less safe but less annoyed wins out in this case. Off it goes. See the Apple ad about this very subject.
- Aero is nice to look at (though still not on MacOSX level), but there’s still software out there that brings Aero to a crashing halt, throwing the interface back to Basic. I don’t mind that. But what I do mind is that there’s a 1 in 5 chance that Aero completely screws up coming back and takes all Aero-related windows with it. In fact, that just happend as I’m writing this and I’m looking at a blank taskbar.
- The stupid window flipping scrolling thing. That you’re supposed to replace alt-TAB with. That thing’s the most hilariously inefficient part of Vista yet.
- General inefficiency CPU and RAM wise… my 1 gig of RAM is used 70% just with Windows on idle, CPU goes all over the place all the time. No idea what it’s doing.
- Oh, and just one last pet peeve… the fucking screensaver pops up when I’m watching videos. I thought this was fixed back in ninety-fucking-nine. Off that goes too.
Urgh. I might just upgrade to XP if I have a few days left over.
Is it that bad, or are you in a bad mood right now? You sound a bit irritated 🙂
I’m glad to see I’m not the only one underwhelmed by Vista. Ubuntu for me, all the way.